Monday, October 29, 2007

I Should Be Working Instead of Writing This


It's still fall, and I'm already in reruns! A Cooper's Hawk at Huntington Central Park seen last weekend

Work has been crazy-busy the last week or so, and I haven't had birds on the brain as much as usual. (Maybe this is a good thing.) I spent most of Sunday afternoon staring at my laptop and poring through journal articles instead of poking around Bolsa Chica. Sigh.

We did make it to the Sea and Sage Audubon Pancake Breakfast on Saturday, where we indulged in pancakes and birdy gossip before a sudden (and welcome) drizzle hit. On Saturday afternoon, I went on another long walk through Talbert Nature Reserve down to the Santa Ana River mouth. No lifers, but I did see a nice assortment of the usual suspects: a couple of Western Meadowlarks, lots of White-crowned Sparrows, Red-tailed and Cooper's Hawks, an Osprey, a pair of American Kestrels, California Gnatcatchers, and several Western Bluebirds. In the river were several Northern Pintails and Lesser Scaups—the first I've seen there this year.

On Sunday morning, I dragged Glenn back to Huntington Central park to find the Green-tailed Towhee reported there last week. We didn't find it, but we did see endless flocks of Yellow-rumped Warblers and Nutmeg Mannekins. There were also a good number of Townsend's Warblers, and several Black-throated Greys.

Okay, now I really do have to get back to work...

No comments: